Better energy levels are a result of eating better food, and these delicious energy bars will keep you going throughout the day. I like to use almonds as they have a nice rich flavour, and I also add some millet because it is non-acid-forming and contains a myriad of beneficial nutrients. Millet is readily available, and is one of the least allergenic and most digestible gluten-free grains. You can, of course, omit it if you don’t have it to hand.
My girls like a crunchier texture, so I dehydrate these bars overnight.
What you need
- 4 cups almonds, soaked overnight
- 3 cups dates, soaked overnight in the juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons millet, soaked overnight
- 1 orange
What you do
- Soak the nuts and millet overnight in water and drain. Also soak the dates overnight in the juice of the orange. Save the rind. The dates will absorb most of the juice.
- Chop the rind of the orange finely in your food processer, then simply push the nuts, dates and rind through your juicer using the blank screen.
- Turn the mixture onto parchment paper, cover with another sheet of paper and roll with a rolling pin.
- Form into bars and place in the dehydrator overnight.