Comfort & TherapeuticThis soup is posh enough to serve at dinner parties or special gatherings. It was an instant hit with my friends and family, and I am sure you will absolutely adore it. Sweet, rich and creamy you would almost think it was made with full-fat cream. I prefer to use water instead of oil to cook the onions, because oils heated to high temperatures form harmful by-products. To make this soup a little fancier for special occasions, drizzle a little of the coconut milk on top and garnish with a little chopped chilli flakes. This soup needs to be a part of your posh food repertoire. It will definitely earn you praise.
What you need
- 1 butternut squash
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 250 ml boiling water
- Chilli flakes, to garnish
What you do
- Remove the skin and seeds from the squash and peel the onions.
- Cut the onions and squash into slices. Cook the onions gently for a few minutes in a small amount of water, stirring regularly to prevent the vegetables sticking.
- Melt the bouillon powder in the boiling water and pour over the onions. Add the chopped squash and coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook for a further 20 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Blend the soup until smooth, adding more stock if the soup is too thick.
- Add basil or chilli flakes before serving.